-->

Review: Benzac AC 2.5% & 5% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Gel

Benzac AC Gel is an acne spot treatment formulated with active acne ingredient, Benzoyl Peroxide, that unblocks pores with a mild peeling effect and clears pimples and blackheads without drying skin.

Benzac AC Gel in 2.5% Strength

With it's unique Acrylates Copolymer (AC) Technology, it absorbs sebum and releases glycerin to help hydrate skin. It is dermatologically-tested, safe and gentle and it claims to kill pimples' bacteria within 48 hours.


It is available in 3 strengths — 2.5%, 5% and 10%.

Usage: Apply to affected areas once or twice daily or as directed by dermatologist.

Benzac AC Gel comes in a squeezable tube, like a toothpaste tube, with a plastic twist-off cap. Each tube weighs 60g.

The gel has a watery-creamy texture.

The skin may feel sticky when the gel is applied, but once the gel gets absorbed into the skin, there is no sticky or greasy feel.

Tried & Tested
FYI, I am a user of Salicylic Acid, an active acne ingredient which is gentler than Benzoyl Peroxide. As Salicylic Acid is still working well on my acne (both inflamed and non-inflamed), I don't really want to switch to Benzoyl Peroxide. However, Salicylic Acid takes a week or two to treat my *cystic acne; I can't wait that long to get rid of these kind of pimples because they are generally painful to the touch and can be very annoying. (P.S: I have been getting a few cystic acne recently.) Therefore, I decided to use Benzoyl Peroxide on them.

*Cystic Acne: They are generally big, red, painful and pus-filled.

I got a mini sample tube of Benzac AC Gel in 5% strength:
I have tried it and it did heal my cystic pimples however, I think 5% strength is slightly strong for my sensitive skin as it caused the area where I applied the cream to turn red and itchy. So I decided to reduce the strength and try the 2.5% one. Although it is 2.5%, it is still as effective as 5%.

Within 12 hours of applying the gel on my cystic pimples, my pimples were much smaller and a lot less painful. Within 48 hours, they became flat! I swear the results were amazing on my pimples — fast and effective!

Here's the illustration of the healing process of one of my cystic pimples:
The only drawback is drying. In my opinion, the 2.5% strength is less drying than the 5% one. It may still dry out the skin and cause the skin to peel but well, being able to get rid of big, red and painful zit in 2 days, [...] it's all worth it lah! Anyway, the 2.5% strength did not irritate my sensitive skin hence, I think it is sensitive skin friendly.

If you are having trouble with cystic acne, I recommend to give this a try and let me know your thoughts after trying, yeah~? I'd love to know how it goes for you! :)

Benzac AC Gel is now available in National Skin Centre, selected FairPrice, Guardian, Unity and Watsons outlets at the price of SGD$17.50.

No comments